2020 Red Paddle Co 17’0″ x 60″ x 8″ Ride XL
Technically, the XL Ride is an extension of its sister Ride boards. It has a wide deck and tail so it’s nice and stable, even when you’ve got eight people on it. And it has four valves so four people can inflate it at the same time, and multiple grab handles so the group can carry it together.
What’s new for 2020?
- New deck graphics and rail graphics/colors
- Piece of mind: Register your new board with Red Paddle Co to get your warranty coverage extended to 5 years
MSL – Monocoque Structural Laminate
What is MSL? Monocoque Structural Laminate (MSL) fusion composite and airtight coating is a new construction process introduced in 2016. MSL involves fusing the second layer of hard-wearing polymer to the dropstitch core at the raw material stage, removing hand gluing errors. The high-tech industrial process also saves up to 5 lbs of weight per board and makes the boards stiffer at lower pressures.
The difference is in the detail. By looking at all of the individual elements of drop stitch Red Paddle Co have been able to develop a refined process to improve all aspects of board production.
Firstly Red Paddle Co have removed the process of coating the inner thread section with molten PVC – for them this was a redundant process, as they had no interest in producing a single layer board and only served as a base to glue our outer/double layer too. It was also a messy process with very little control. Instead they coat the thread structure in a layer of adhesive that has been specially formulated to create both a seal and a bonding layer. Red Paddle Co then machine laminate a layer or high density structural PVC to this adhesive layer under controlled conditions – completely removing the human factor involved in traditional double layer application.
This entire process is done at the raw material stage by carefully calibrated machinery developed for this process specifically. The result is a consistent and high level cosmetic finish that has all of the durability and strength properties of our previous double layer construction. And because this process is done at the raw material stage Red Paddle Co is now able to benefit from torsional stiffness as the material is put under tension when the board is inflated.
It all sounds simple but like the best single malt whiskey or a finely tuned engine the components and method have needed to be refined over and over again until they created the ultimate blend of performance, quality and weight.
So what are the benefits to paddlers?
- Cosmetic finish – All Red Paddle Co boards have an industry leading cosmetic finish. No wrinkles or blemishes. The boards look cleaner and smoother, and even feel better to the touch.
- Lighter – All Red Paddle Co boards are up to 5 lbs or 2 kgs lighter than many competitors. But very importantly they are not too light. If a board is ultra light or too light, it is more affected by wind and current while on the water. MSL boards have a lightweight yet reassuring feel.
- Stiffer at lower pressures – Due to the Torsional Stiffness effect, all Red Paddle Co boards are stiffer at lower pressures. Red Paddle Co recommend a pressure of between 16-22psi. Less pumping more paddling.
The Red Paddle Co Ezee Pump is ideally suited to putting in the high volume of air needed in the larger boards. You are able to use fewer pump strokes to pump up your board. It comes complete with a pressure gauge so you can check your progress any time.
- 65 inch hose with Red Paddle Co valve nozzle
- Pressure gauge registers to 25PSI
- Pump dimensions: 20 inches tall x 9 inches wide with a 4-inch barrel
- Weight: 3 lbs
Other Red Paddle Co Features
Tec Air is not a product it’s a process. By focussing in on the key areas of the production process Red Paddle Co have been able to identify ways they can improve the end result. Whether it be detailing exactly where and how the layers are bonded or how the rocker curve is applied to the board, no area of the design process is ignored. The key areas of construction are inside the board. Red Paddle Co’s attention to detail on the inside ensures the best experience on the outside.
They use only the highest quality drop stitch. Drop stitch is the name given to the material inside an inflatable board. Red Paddle Co boards are built using specially produced, high density drop stitch that makes for a stronger and stiffer core. Take a look on the outside of a Red Paddle Co board you will see thousands of dimples spread from nose to tail and rail to rail. Each dimple represents an internal thread. Red Paddle Co does not use linear drop stitch which is a mass produced, cheap material that cannot hold high pressure. Linear boards can be identified by the straight lines of dimples on the board.
First of all, Red Paddle Co use a machine to weave the inner core. Next they cover the woven surface in an adhesive that both seals the woven material so it is air tight, and adheres to the second layer, which is applied in next stage of the process, see MSL above. They then attach the deck pad, fins and other parts to the outer layer.
Many boards in the Red Paddle Co range come with built-in fins – the high-performance iFin system. With moulded fins you don’t need any tools, replacements or spares. They are specially designed to be ultra-durable and easy to pack away for transport. If they ever bend out of shape during storage or use, it is extremely easy to set them straight again, simply pour hot water over the fins and reshape them by hand.
Warranty – 5 years with registration
All Red Paddle Co products come with a 12-month warranty against manufacturing defects, by registering your board with Red Paddle Co you are upgraded to a free 5 year warranty.
- Red Paddle Co Ezee hand pumps with pressure gauge
- MSL fusion composite and airtight coating
- High-grade, double-thread internal high density drop stitching which can handle up to 25PSI
- Double layer fusion construction featuring a “board within a board”. This adds “bomb-proof-ness,” massive strength, stiffness, consistent shape and mega durability
- Side rails with four layers of taping – maintains the boards shape, stiffness and air tight qualities. Four times thicker than many inflatable paddle boards
- Special “air block” membrane eliminates air leakage
- Four tracking iFins for the best mix of directional stability and control
- Integrated nose handle, d-ring and Ram Mount for camera and accessories
- 8 carry handles
- Super traction, non-slip EVA deck pad
- Built using Tec Air specification, with new valves, improved seals, cap and stronger threads
- Length: 17′
- Width: 60″
- Thickness: 200mm, 8 inches
- Volume: 1298 liters
- Weight: TBA
- Max payload: 8 riders
- Warranty: 1 year, 5 years with product registration
What’s in the box? The 17′ Ride XL comes complete with the Ride XL storage pack, a repair kit, cell phone case and four Red Paddle Co Ezee pumps.