2020 Red Paddle Co 14’0″ x 27″ x 5.9″ Elite
Away races are now a reality. Just pack up and attend any race anywhere in the world – no hassles. Whilst other inflatable race paddle boards have to race against their own breed in one design classes, the Red Paddle Co Elite is competitive against existing hard board designs. You really need to paddle this board to experience just quite how good/fast it is. The rocker line is designed to give fast glide and ride. The single nose fin helps tracking. The centre fin gives just the right amount of grip without adding drag.
What’s new for 2020?
- Elite boards now come with the Red Paddle Co All Terrain Bag
- Updated accessory mount size, now using M6 or 1/4-20 thread with 0.375″ depth – more information here
- New location for tail mounted leash d-ring
- Piece of mind: Register your new board with Red Paddle Co to get your warranty coverage extended to 5 years
MSL – Monocoque Structural Laminate
What is MSL? Monocoque Structural Laminate (MSL) fusion composite and airtight coating is a new construction process introduced in 2016. MSL involves fusing the second layer of hard-wearing polymer to the dropstitch core at the raw material stage, removing hand gluing errors. The high-tech industrial process also saves up to 5 lbs of weight per board and makes the boards stiffer at lower pressures.
The difference is in the detail. By looking at all of the individual elements of drop stitch Red Paddle Co have been able to develop a refined process to improve all aspects of board production.
Firstly Red Paddle Co have removed the process of coating the inner thread section with molten PVC – for them this was a redundant process, as they had no interest in producing a single layer board and only served as a base to glue our outer/double layer too. It was also a messy process with very little control. Instead they coat the thread structure in a layer of adhesive that has been specially formulated to create both a seal and a bonding layer. Red Paddle Co then machine laminate a layer or high density structural PVC to this adhesive layer under controlled conditions – completely removing the human factor involved in traditional double layer application.
This entire process is done at the raw material stage by carefully calibrated machinery developed for this process specifically. The result is a consistent and high level cosmetic finish that has all of the durability and strength properties of our previous double layer construction. And because this process is done at the raw material stage Red Paddle Co is now able to benefit from torsional stiffness as the material is put under tension when the board is inflated.
It all sounds simple but like the best single malt whiskey or a finely tuned engine the components and method have needed to be refined over and over again until they created the ultimate blend of performance, quality and weight.
So what are the benefits to paddlers?
- Cosmetic finish – All Red Paddle Co boards have an industry leading cosmetic finish. No wrinkles or blemishes. The boards look cleaner and smoother, and even feel better to the touch.
- Lighter – All Red Paddle Co boards are up to 5 lbs or 2 kgs lighter than many competitors. But very importantly they are not too light. If a board is ultra light or too light, it is more affected by wind and current while on the water. MSL boards have a lightweight yet reassuring feel.
- Stiffer at lower pressures – Due to the Torsional Stiffness effect, all Red Paddle Co boards are stiffer at lower pressures. Red Paddle Co recommend a pressure of between 16-22psi. Less pumping more paddling.
Forward Flex Control Rod
Forward Flex Control or FFC is a patented innovation by Red Paddle Co to give race boards even more rigidity to cope with the intense pressures of competition. It is made up of a stiffening rod that works in combination with the RSS to deliver a mode rigid ride. Before fully inflating the board and inserting the RSS Battens, you simply clip the rob to a mounting level near the top of the deck pad and put it under compression. See how Forward Flex Control works.
Rocker Stiffening System
The Rocker Stiffening System (RSS), a patented innovation, is designed to increase board stiffness by 30-50%. The Rocker Stiffening System utilises two external glass-fibre struts (battens) inserted into pockets along the rails of the board. While the RSS batten has been shaped to give the best stiffness, the pocket into which it fits is also built to the highest quality. Red Paddle Co build the pocket separately before laminating it to the board to ensure the very best fit and performance. No detail is missed to ensure the RSS system works to its full potential. A revolution in inflatable board performance, Red Paddle Co’s patented RSS System comes from their focus on only building inflatable boards and their belief that riding an inflatable board should not mean you have to compromise on performance, looks or quality.
All Terrain Board Bag
The Red Paddle Co All Terrain Bag with wheels and back pack system, is the perfect bag for travelling the world with your inflatable paddle board. Made with toughened materials that can cope with sun, sea, sand and travel, the All Terrain Red Paddle Co inflatable SUP board bag features a front-loading system which zippers on three sides, making packing and unpacking a breeze. Multiple storage handles provide a multitude of carrying options.
Trekking through the back country? The adjustable, padded shoulder straps and waistband provide a comfortable way to carry your inflatable. Integrated internal straps make sure the board stays in place while in transit. Headed out for a overseas holiday? The hidden backpack strap system can be stowed when not in use. Just stash the shoulder straps and the integrated roller system lets you wheel your bag easily through the airport.
The All Terrain bag features include:
- Front loading two-way, no-snag, anti-corrosion CoilZip zipper for easy loading and unloading
- Multiple durable carry handles allow you to pick up the bag any way you want.
- Bonded nylon sailmaking thread stitched throughout the bag.
- Partial foil liner prevents heat build-up.
- Integrated paddle strap system keeps your breakdown paddle secure and in position while stored.
- Internal mesh pocket for storing a fin or small items
- Address label window
- High-load padded backpack straps for extra comfort and durability
- Waist band strap ensures the bag stays in the optimum position for carrying
- Integrated wheels built into the shell of the bag make travelling airports easy.
- Updated Sherpa Carry System allows you to easily store the backpack straps to create a sleek roller bag for seamless transportation.
The Titan Pump features two chambers, one larger volume cylinder (low pressure) and one lower volume cylinder (high pressure). Think of it as a combination of the regular Ezee and the Ezee HP side by side.
You start with both cylinders pumping huge amounts of air into the board, then at about 10PSI, you remove the handle located plug and it pumps through the high pressure side only. You’re pumping double the amount of air into the board than usual, and can still finish it off with high pressure.
The Titan Pump could easily be the best development in inflatable stand up paddle products throughout the entire market let alone the industry leading Red Paddle Co range. The ability to inflate your SUP faster and also without switching pumps and still attain the higher pressure easily, is making a monumental difference to the performance and satisfaction of your paddle boarding experience.
Put simply, we don’t use electric pumps as the Titan Pump gets the board to higher pressures, faster.
- 65 inch hose with Red Paddle Co/Halkey Roberts valve nozzle
- Various adaptors for other inflatables
- Pressure gauge registers to 30PSI
- Pump dimensions: 25 inches tall x 12 inches wide with a 4-inch barrel and a 3.5-inch barrel
- Pump volume of 4.71l using both cyclinders
- Weight: 5 lbs
Other Red Paddle Co Features
Tec Air is not a product it’s a process. By focussing in on the key areas of the production process Red Paddle Co have been able to identify ways they can improve the end result. Whether it be detailing exactly where and how the layers are bonded or how the rocker curve is applied to the board, no area of the design process is ignored. The key areas of construction are inside the board. Red Paddle Co’s attention to detail on the inside ensures the best experience on the outside.
They use only the highest quality drop stitch. Drop stitch is the name given to the material inside an inflatable board. Red Paddle Co boards are built using specially produced, high density drop stitch that makes for a stronger and stiffer core. Take a look on the outside of a Red Paddle Co board you will see thousands of dimples spread from nose to tail and rail to rail. Each dimple represents an internal thread. Red Paddle Co does not use linear drop stitch which is a mass produced, cheap material that cannot hold high pressure. Linear boards can be identified by the straight lines of dimples on the board.
First of all, Red Paddle Co use a machine to weave the inner core. Next they cover the woven surface in an adhesive that both seals the woven material so it is air tight, and adheres to the second layer, which is applied in next stage of the process, see MSL above. They then attach the deck pad, fins and other parts to the outer layer.
US Fin Box
US Box Fins originated in the surfing world where they are widely trusted to do a great job. A number of Red Paddle Co boards use them, including all of the Elite race boards, Voyagers, Sports, Whip, Wild, Dragon, as well as the Wind and Windsurf boards. Red Paddle Co use several different types of fin depending on the board. These fins are inserted after inflation and are simply attached using a nut and bolt system.
Red Paddle Co Glass Race Fin – Get more performance, glide and tracking out of your board!
The honeycomb fibreglass race/weed fin from Red Paddle Co is designed to give the best performance in a range of conditions. It’s main design attributes are:
- Raked back fin to avoid catching weeds that can destroy your race performance
- Streamlined surface area to give the right amount of tracking but minimal drag
- The race fin is made from a honeycomb foam core, coated in a glass fiber to reduce weight but to maintain a rigid shape without flexing under loaded conditions
- Great tracking and stability
- The Red Paddle Co Race/Weed Fin comes with it’s own neoprene carrying case with clear front panel, and fin bolt
Warranty – 5 years with registration
All Red Paddle Co products come with a 12-month warranty against manufacturing defects, by registering your board with Red Paddle Co you are upgraded to a free 5 year warranty.
- The Titan Pump – a revolutionary dual chamber inflatable paddle board pump that will inflate your board in half the time with half the effort, and still pump to 25PSI easily.
- MSL fusion composite and airtight coating
- High-grade, double-thread internal high density drop stitching which can handle up to 25PSI
- Double layer fusion construction featuring a “board within a board”. This adds “bomb-proof-ness,” massive strength, stiffness, consistent shape and mega durability
- Side rails with four layers of taping – maintains the boards shape, stiffness and air tight qualities. Four times thicker than many inflatable paddle boards
- Forward Flex Control (FFC): Extra rigidity to triumph in extreme circumstances
- Features the RSS System
- Red Paddle Co All Terrain Backpack – 38 x 14 x 12 inches
- Special “air block” membrane eliminates air leakage
- Removable fin using US fin box. Comes with fibreglass Red Paddle Co race fin designed for straight tracking
- Nose runner fin for straighter and more efficient paddling with FFC base on deck to aid in shedding water
- Tail mounted rear d-ring for leash
- Super traction, non-slip diamond cut main paid and “red” embossed rear EVA deck pad
- Low profile handle so no risk of injury
- 2 central rail mounted handles and 2 mid fore deck, carry handles, more comfortable than before
- Built using Tec Air specification, with new valves, improved seals, cap and stronger threads
- Length: 14′
- Width: 27”
- Thickness: 150mm, 5.90 inches
- Volume: 360 liters
- Weight: 23.5 lbs, or 34 lbs in pack with pump
- Max payload: 265 lbs/120 kg
- Warranty: 1 year, 5 years with product registration
What’s in the box? The 14′ x 27″ Elite comes complete with the awesome All Terrain wheeled backpack, FFC rod, RSS battens, race fin, a repair kit, cell phone case and the Red Paddle Co Titan pump, which makes inflation to 15-25psi really easy, leaving you more time to paddle.