2023 Red Paddle Co 12’6″ x 28″ x 5.9″ Elite Inflatable Racing SUP
Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus Sports Cars, popularized the phrase “To go faster, just add lightness.” This principle is evident in the design of the Red Paddle Co Elite Race, where weight is minimized by only having deck grip in crucial areas. The rocker line provides a fast glide and ride, while the single nose fin enhances tracking and the center fin provides the perfect amount of grip without adding drag.
With inflatable technology, races can now be attended anywhere in the world with ease. Unlike other inflatable race paddle boards, the Elite Race is competitive against traditional hard board designs. To truly appreciate its speed and performance, one must experience paddling on it.
What’s new for 2023?
- Updated cargo area position which now includes accessory mount and bungee cord
- Update deck graphics
→ See a side by side comparison of all Red Paddle Co SUP Paddles in our we compare all Red Paddle Co SUP Paddles article.
Red Paddle Co – Since 2008
John Hibbard, Red Paddle Co Founder and CEO: As we celebrate our 15th anniversary, we reflect on our journey to redefine watersports. Our goal is to create an inclusive and exciting outdoor experience, accessible to everyone. Looking back, it has been an incredible adventure, and we’re excited to continue our mission for the next 15 years. Join us on this journey, and let’s explore the world together.
MSL – Monocoque Structural Laminate
What is MSL? The Monocoque Structural Laminate (MSL) fusion composite and airtight coating is a new construction process introduced in 2016. MSL fuses the second layer of hard-wearing polymer to the dropstitch core at the raw material stage, eliminating hand gluing errors. This high-tech industrial process also reduces weight by up to 5 lbs per board and increases stiffness at lower pressures.
Red Paddle Co has made significant improvements to the drop stitch process to enhance all aspects of board production. The company eliminated the process of coating the inner thread section with molten PVC, as it was unnecessary and messy. Instead, they coat the thread structure in a specially formulated adhesive that creates a seal and bonding layer. Then, using controlled machinery, they machine laminate a layer of high-density structural PVC to this adhesive layer, eliminating the human factor in traditional double layer application.
This process is done at the raw material stage, resulting in a consistent and high-quality cosmetic finish that has the same durability and strength properties as their previous double layer construction. Additionally, torsional stiffness is improved as the material is put under tension when the board is inflated.
While the process may sound simple, it has been refined and perfected over time to create the ultimate blend of performance, quality, and weight.
So what are the benefits to paddlers?
- Cosmetic finish – All Red Paddle Co boards have an industry leading cosmetic finish. No wrinkles or blemishes. The boards look cleaner and smoother, and even feel better to the touch.
- Lighter – All Red Paddle Co boards are up to 5 lbs or 2 kgs lighter than many competitors. But very importantly they are not too light. If a board is ultra light or too light, it is more affected by wind and current while on the water. MSL boards have a lightweight yet reassuring feel.
- Stiffer at lower pressures – Due to the Torsional Stiffness effect, all Red Paddle Co boards are stiffer at lower pressures. Red Paddle Co recommend a pressure of between 16-22psi. Less pumping more paddling.
Forward Flex Control Rod
Red Paddle Co’s Forward Flex Control (FFC) is a patented technology that enhances the rigidity of race boards to handle the demands of competition. It consists of a stiffening rod that works in concert with the RSS to provide an ultra-rigid ride. To use FFC, simply attach the rod to a mounting point near the top of the deck pad before fully inflating the board and inserting the RSS Battens, and apply compression to the rod. See how Forward Flex Control works.
Rocker Stiffening System
The Rocker Stiffening System (RSS) is a patented innovation by Red Paddle Co that increases board stiffness by 30-50%. The system employs two external polycarbonate struts (battens) that are inserted into pockets along the rails of the board. The battens are specifically designed for optimal stiffness, while the pockets into which they fit are constructed to the highest quality. Red Paddle Co manufactures the pockets separately before laminating them to the board to guarantee a perfect fit and performance. No detail is overlooked to ensure that the RSS system performs at its maximum capacity. Red Paddle Co’s patented RSS system is a game-changer in inflatable board performance, resulting from their exclusive focus on inflatable boards and the belief that riding an inflatable board should not mean sacrificing performance, appearance or quality.
ATB Transformer Board Bag
After extensive testing and traveling over 100,000 miles with boards, Red Paddle Co has developed the ultimate inflatable paddle board bag, the ATB Transformer Bag. It features the most significant advancements seen in inflatable board bags to date, making it the perfect solution for travel and storage.
The bag has undergone a complete redesign, including highly engineered adjustable ergonomic support, providing exceptional support for your shoulders and back. It also features exterior straps for compressing the bag, making it more comfortable to carry. The bag also has an interior paddle blade pocket with a velcro securing system to keep your paddle safe and secure during travel. Additionally, a large outer zip pocket allows for easy storage and accessibility of essentials.
Red Paddle Co’s revolutionary bag-less carry system is designed for all paddleboarders. It allows for more adventurous trips to remote waterways without the need for a heavy and bulky bag. It also makes it easier, quicker, and more convenient for families to pack up their gear after a day at the beach.
The ATB Transformer Bag features include:
- Highly engineered and adjustable ergonomic support for your shoulders and back
- Fully customisable to your height ensures that the bag will take care of your body under load
- Exterior compression straps to make bag more comfortable and compact
- Interior paddle blade pocket and velcro securing system for paddle pieces
- Front loading two-way, no-snag, anti-corrosion CoilZip zipper for easy loading and unloading
- Multiple durable carry handles allow you to pick up the bag any way you want.
- Lockable zippers with rubber pull tabs
- Bag-less carry system – pump and straps can easily be taken on the water removing risk of leaving equipment
- Larger all terrain wheels suitable for any rugged terrain
- Address label window
- Dimensions: 38 x 15 x 14 inches
- Color: Dark charcoal, blue with red accents
- Volume: 134 liters
- Weight: 7 lbs
Titan 2 Pump
Red Paddle Co has completely redesigned and re-engineered the Titan Pump for 2021, with a focus on ease of use and packing. They have also improved the fixtures and fittings for increased durability.
The Titan 2 Pump is the world’s first double chamber pump specifically designed for stand-up paddleboards. It reduces the time and effort required to inflate your board by half. Through constant innovation, Red Paddle Co has pushed the boundaries of inflation technology, and they believe that the Titan 2 pump is unmatched in the market. The Dual Cylinder system and Hi-Flo handle give you complete control over the energy used to inflate your board, allowing for faster inflation and less effort required to reach higher pressures.
The packed size of the Titan 2 pump is 2/3rds smaller than the previous Titan pump, making it easier to roll the board and resulting in a tighter roll.
Updates and innovations on the Titan 2:
- Folding feet and a removable quick release handle reduces the packaged size by 30% compared to the original Titan pump. This makes it much easier to roll and pack your pump and board.
- The chamber isolation valve is now an integrated switch rather than a removable plug, which makes it easier to switch to one chamber while pumping.
- A double-ended bayonet hose fixture (Halkey-Roberts) reduces leaks and removes damaged screw threads when attaching to the pump.
- Our redesigned air box means the pump hose now attaches to the main body to reduce the movement of the hose when inflating.
- An increase in volume overall makes for faster inflation.
- An integrated pressure gauge helps reduce impact if the pump is dropped.
- The standing position has shifted 90 degrees, so you are only astride one chamber.
- In addition to having wider feet, the Titan II is more stable and ergonomic, especially for smaller riders/pumpers!
The Titan Pump design concept features two chambers, one larger volume cylinder (low pressure) and one lower volume cylinder (high pressure). Think of it as a combination of the regular Ezee and the Ezee HP side by side. You start with both cylinders pumping huge amounts of air into the board, then at about 10PSI, you move the integrated switch and it pumps through the high pressure side only. You’re pumping double the amount of air into the board than usual, and can still finish it off with high pressure.
Put simply, we don’t use electric pumps as the Titan Pump gets the board to higher pressures, faster.
- Pressure gauge shows to 30PSI
- Pump dimensions: 22″ x 5″ x 7″
- Pump hose length: 48″
- Pump volume of 3.98l using both cylinders
- Weight: 5 lbs
Other Red Paddle Co Features
Tec Air is a process rather than a product. Red Paddle Co has identified ways to improve the production process by focusing on key areas of the design process to ensure the best outcome. They pay close attention to details such as where and how the layers are bonded and how the rocker curve is applied to the board.
The key areas of construction are inside the board. Red Paddle Co’s attention to detail on the inside ensures the best experience on the outside. They use only the highest quality drop stitch. Drop stitch is the name given to the material inside an inflatable board. Red Paddle Co boards are built using specially produced, high-density drop stitch that makes for a stronger and stiffer core. The exterior of a Red Paddle Co board will have thousands of dimples spread from nose to tail and rail to rail. Each dimple represents an internal thread. Unlike linear drop stitch which is a mass-produced, cheap material that cannot hold high pressure, Linear boards can be identified by the straight lines of dimples on the board.
The process starts by machine weaving the inner core, then covering the woven surface with an adhesive that both seals the woven material so it is airtight and adheres to the second layer. Next, they attach the deck pad, fins and other parts to the outer layer.
US Fin Box
US Box Fins, which are widely trusted for their effectiveness in the surfing world, are used on several Red Paddle Co boards, including the Elite race boards, Voyagers, Sports, Whip, Wild, Dragon, and Windsurf board. Red Paddle Co utilizes various types of fins depending on the board, which are inserted after inflation and securely attached using a simple nut and bolt system.
Red Paddle Co Glass Race Fin – Get more performance, glide and tracking out of your board!
The honeycomb fibreglass race/weed fin from Red Paddle Co is designed to give the best performance in a range of conditions. It’s main design attributes are:
- Raked back fin to avoid catching weeds that can destroy your race performance
- Streamlined surface area to give the right amount of tracking but minimal drag
- The race fin is made from a honeycomb foam core, coated in a glass fiber to reduce weight but to maintain a rigid shape without flexing under loaded conditions
- Great tracking and stability
- The Red Paddle Co Race/Weed Fin comes with it’s own neoprene carrying case with clear front panel, and fin bolt
Rail Foot Holds
The deck pad features raised sections along the rails in the primary standing area, which allow the rider to grip the board with their feet. This provides the paddler with leverage on the outer edges of the deck pad for increased stability and balance in choppy conditions. It also allows for a grounded stance, enabling the paddler to channel more energy into each paddle stroke.
All Red Paddle Co boards feature integrated accessory mounts. Carry a phone, Camera, GPS, fishing rod, you name it, the accessory mount will provide a secure base for many attachments.
- Integrated FFC with Ram Mount/Railblaza accessory mounting system on fore deck
- Accessory mount size uses M6 x 90mm or 1/4-20 thread with 0.375″ depth – more information here
Warranty – 5 years with registration
All Red Paddle Co products come with a 12-month warranty against manufacturing defects, by registering your board with Red Paddle Co you are upgraded to a free 5 year warranty.
- The Titan 2 Pump – a revolutionary dual chamber inflatable paddle board pump that will inflate your board in half the time with half the effort, and still pump to 25PSI easily.
- MSL fusion composite and airtight coating
- High-grade, double-thread internal high density drop stitching which can handle up to 25PSI
- Double layer fusion construction featuring a “board within a board”. This adds “bomb-proof-ness,” massive strength, stiffness, consistent shape and mega durability
- Side rails with four layers of taping – maintains the boards shape, stiffness and air tight qualities. Four times thicker than many inflatable paddle boards
- Forward Flex Control (FFC): Extra rigidity to triumph in extreme circumstances
- Features the updated polycarbonate batten RSS System
- Red Paddle Co ATB Transformer Bag – 38 x 15 x 14 inches
- Special “air block” membrane eliminates air leakage
- Removable fin using US fin box. Comes with fibreglass Red Paddle Co race fin designed for straight tracking
- Nose runner fin for straighter and more efficient paddling with FFC base on deck to aid in shedding water
- Forward mounted Ram Mount and Railblaza Mounting System for camera and accessories
- Tail mounted rear d-ring for leash
- Super traction, non-slip “red” embossed main pad with raised rails and diamond cut rear EVA deck pad
- 4 point stainless steel d-ring forward cargo area (bungee not included)
- Low profile handle so no risk of injury
- 2 mid fore deck carry handles
- Built using Tec Air specification, with new valves, improved seals, cap and stronger threads
- Length: 12’6”
- Width: 28”
- Thickness: 150mm, 5.90 inches
- Volume: 316 liters
- Weight: 25 lbs, or 35 lbs in pack with pump
- Max rider weight: 265 lbs/120 kg
- Warranty: 1 year, 5 years with product registration
What’s in the box? The 12’6″ x 28″ Elite comes complete with the awesome ATB Transformer Bag wheeled backpack, FFC rod, RSS battens, race fin, a repair kit, cell phone case and the Red Paddle Co Titan 2 pump, which makes inflation to 15-25psi really easy, leaving you more time to paddle.
Watch the How to set up your new Red Paddle Co board video
View the Red Paddle Co Inflatable Paddle Board Welcome Guide and User Manual (PDF)